sexta-feira, 30 de setembro de 2011

Portugal. The Man



Portugal. The Man is one of the most wonderful musical secrets I've ever found.
 I remember to ask myself: "is there any other band that I can be addicted to again? the kind of band with a supreme music, who I can identify myself?". For a long time I even get tired of the music I used to hear but when I was searching stuff about Portugal (the country) I found out that exists a band with the name: Portugal, The Man. Of course at first what intisified my curiosity about the band was its name but when I heard the first music I just fell in love with their melody.
This was the first music I heard: "People say"
OUTSTANDING! Isn't it? One of the best musics I've ever heard.


Portugal, the Man is an american psychedelic rock band based in Portland, but originally from Wasilla in the icy state of Alaska. Their first album is from 2006 but they have already recorded 7 studio albums which means they recorded a new album every year, and even two albums in  2009. Their last album is from 2011 and it's called "In the Mountain In the Cloud". They got a new wonderful song and video clip of that album it's called "Sleep Forever",which lasts for almost 14 minutes and it's  like a small movie (with some morbid parts).
Take a look:


ASTONNISHING! (I hope his coat is not real fur 'cause if it is I'll start hatting this band straight away!)
How could I ignore for 6 years this amazing talent?
Their so indie spirited and they're not a commercial band. They have lots of freedom to create (they even created their own editor before going to Atlantic records) and put all their efforts to the extreme, the result is magical: their music.
As I said their band seems to be a bit of psychedelic rock, indie rock but also has some sonorities of soul, blues and folk...in other words: they're so different from everything I've ever heard, so so awesome.


So it's not just because of the name of the band that I love them, they have real good music! 
The band have already been in Portugal in 2009 during a summer festival, unfortunatelly by the time I had no idea that existed a band called Portugal, the Man with such a good music. So I really hope they come back some day.


But why they decided to have such a name: "Portugal, the Man" a name of such a small, discrete, medieval and so far from the frozen Alaska, country? 
Well there is no real explanation for it. The band's name is based on the idea of David Bowies's "bigger than life" fame. They wanted the band to have a bigger than life feel but didn't want to name it after one of their members.
The lead vocalist John Gourley explains it better:


"A country is a group of people. With Portugal, it just ended up being the first country that came to mind. The band's name is 'Portugal'. The period is starting that, and 'The Man' states that it's just one person."

The name has more personal meaning as well: Portugal. The Man was going to be the name of a book that Gourley had planned to write about his father and his many adventures.
But the original band name was 'Portugal. The Man and the Approaching AIRbaloons'.


But still I still couldn't get it: why not: 'Alaska. The Man' or 'America(n). The Man'?or 'Portland. The Man'?
Because they even got a song abou americans it's called 'so american'  that refers the Cold War in Vietnam: ".just a mission made of guns that they give boys in vietnam...oh boys all you boys think you're so american...man, oh man you think you're so american".







Isn't it just the most amazing protest song you've ever heard! OMG I loved it!

Back to the their band name again, I saw an interview in which an american douche bag reporter asked Gouley in a mocking way: "why didn't you chose a slightly better country? like Afghanistan. The Man, Cazaquistan. The Man, etc". No harm to that it only shows how ridiculous some americans can be ignoring and despiseing ancient countries like Portugal with almost 1000 years of existence and who were the pioneers of globalization with fantastic maritime adventures of barve sailors (if you don't know our mark is out there in the world, a world that speaks portuguese: from Brazil to East Timor in Oceania passing through 5 countries in Africa and even Macau in China, and Goa in India, we even built architectural wonders all across the globe...and yes we might have been no saints in all that globalization medieval process but we didn't exterminate all the indians like americans did and then were delightful of making western movies to brag that slaughetr...anyway what's past is past what I can't handle is their general stupidity 'cause yes there is a rest of the world out U.S.A...americans, didn't you know??? oh yes there existed history far too long before U.S.A even exists...that country has only few more than 200 years).

Anyway I'm so flattered of an awesome band like this having the name of my country! If I'll have a band someday I'll call it "Portugal. The Band", it difinetely sounds good!
Greetings from Portugal, with love.






Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário